Sanity is Overrated

free hit counter javascript
View My Stats

10 November 2010

Inspiration in the strangest of places.

So, very rarely to I find myself stunned and inspired by the words of songs, but while driving this morning, I heard the words to "The River" by Garth Brooks, and finally realized what the song meant.

It is about not giving up, and persevering in spite of the challenges that may appear before you. Never before now have these words held so much meaning to me and my life, and the life of those I see around me.

I have found myself lately thinking about a lot of the trials and challenges that I have had to face, and often wondering what it is all supposed to mean and why it seems that so many things are coming at me all at once, with so many obstacles to overcome. I have a different outlook today.

Everyone will struggle at some point in their life, and if they do not, then they are not really living at all. I see so many people facing hard times right now, and find myself grateful for the challenges I have. My problems are relatively minor, in the grand scheme of things, and life really just is not that bad right now.

Yes, we are in a bit of a rough patch, but it could be a lot worse, and it is slowly working itself out. I cannot depend on anyone else to "fix" my life. I must be independent and face my own demons, of sorts, and find a way through. I am responsible for my own life. It is my life and I am the only one who can live it.

I find that when I feel like my life cannot get any worse, I reach out my hand to others and find myself realizing that it really is not that bad. It is so much more about the outlook and the way I face the challenges I have than it is about the challenges and getting through them. I am the captain of my own destiny today, and I choose to live. I cannot hide my head in the sand and hope that things will just work themselves out, because it does not work that way at all.

So, in short, be grateful for the challenges in your life. Remember that everything happens for a reason, and you can get through whatever life throws at you with the right attitude. It may not be easy, but you can get there if you just persevere. Below, find the lyrics to Garth Brooks' The River, and I hope they can inspire someone else today, as they have me.

The River
By Garth Brooks


You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores...and

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
Has now become today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance the tide...yes

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all...yes

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Yes, I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
'Til the river runs dry


Until another day, my faithful friends, I bid you and yours a safe and pleasant journey, and may we meet many times along the road that it leads you on.


--------------L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
free hit counter javascript
View My Stats